Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Book Review...

I've been trying to be more productive with my time lately, and that has included a lot of reading.  I mentioned here that I was able to read Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Reselience and Redemption.  And that was one of the most powerful stories I've ever read.  I normally don't read too many biographies, but it's gotten such great reviews so I decided I had to read it.  I gasped, cried and was shocked through a lot of it, and couldn't help but share the stories with my husband and family.  It's eye opening to see the danger that our American soldiers were put in, and the horrific conditions they were placed in under the Japanese as POWs.  If you enjoy history, or even an just want to read about the amazing survival story of a great man, you must read this!



I then read Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah.  This was a memoir about a young Chinese girl (Adeline) that was born and raised in China.  It wasn't a particularly happy story, but Adeline had (and still has) a strong character and was determined to prove herself, unfortunately it was directed toward a family that didn't love her, but she achieved so much without the love and support of her family.  This story took place in the early 40's in China, so I enjoyed learning more about the modern history of China.  Good story.



The most recent book I read was Sarah's Key.  I've been on a World War II kick lately.  I also really enjoyed this book.  I learned more about the French Jews and the how the French participated in exterminating the Jewish population in France.  I had no idea that this even occurred, and from the story (fiction) it seems that not many French citizens knew about it either.  This was an easy read, and I didn't  love the side story going on, but I liked the historical background.  I would recommend this for anyone wanting a good quick read, but a good story.



If you've already read some of these books, let me know what you think!  Or if you end up reading one I'd like to hear how you enjoyed it. 

Now I'm between two books, Moloka'i by Alan Brennert.  Moloka'i is about the leper colony in Hawai'i during the early 20th century.  The other book is My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira, this is about a midwife during the American Civil War.  I'll give a review on both of these when I'm done.  Happy reading!  

1 comment:

Jane said...

Unbroken is MY FAVORITE of the year. SO good. And listening to it was the best.

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS